What is the Anti Aging Diet? The Anti Aging diet is a palate of healthy foods, rich in antioxidants and other potentially age-deterring components. By simply adding these foods to your everyday diet you are fighting the signs of aging from the inside out.
How do these anti aging foods work in fighting the anti aging battle? It is very simple. Aging is not only what we see on the outside in the form of wrinkles but also many things that we can’t see on the inside such as memory loss, decreased brain function, heart disease, osteoporosis and even cancer.
They do this because they contain phytonutrients which fight free radicals by acting as scavengers, which help to prevent cell tissue damage.
The prevention of cell tissue damage is the first step in preventing inflammation, thus some refer to this as the anti inflammation diet.
You will also want to include regular physical activity, adequate rest, avoid tobacco, and avoid alcohol in excess. This is your best defense against aging.
The foods that you need to add in order to fight aging are:
|acai, apples, avocado, barley, beans, blueberries, broccoli, buckwheat, cinnamon, dark chocolate, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, honey, kiwi, lentils, low fat yogurt, nuts, oats, onions, oranges, peppers, pomegranates, pumpkin, seeds, soy, spinach, sprouts, tea, tomatoes, turkey, walnuts and wild salmon.
This specific anti aging diet works because the foods contain powerful substances called phytonutrients that some believe are capable of unlocking the key to longevity. Phytonutrients, which are members of the antioxidant family, gobble up “free radicals”. As we age, we become more susceptible to the long-term effects of oxidative stress (a condition where the body basically has too many free radicals) and inflammation on the cellular level. The theory is that antioxidants and other age-defying compounds help cells ward off damage from free radicals and minimize the impact of aging.
All of these wonderful Anti Aging Diet foods can be found at your local grocery store or better yet farmers market. Make sure to supplement your diet with a good antioxidant multi-vitamin. So, now that you know what to buy how do you incorporate them into your daily diet? Here are a few suggestions along with some recipes that should get the taste buds flowing.
One Little Change Can Make All The Difference
Pigment. That’s it. Pigment.
The more pigment a fruit or vegetable has, the more cancer fighting, artery cleaning, cholesterol reducing antioxidants you’ll get on your plate.
To get more flavonoids, choose purple, red and blue produce. Did you know that potatoes have a surprising amount. Choose the red potatoes over the brown. Slice beets into your salad instead of cucumbers.
To get more carotenoids think bright yellow, orange, red and green. Choose red grapes over green grapes. Slice raspberries or blueberries instead of bananas on your cereal.
How To Add Years To Your Life
According to Dr. Mehmet Oz, just eating a balanced diet, like the anti aging diet here, will probably add 20 years to your life. In fact, he said on a recent episode of the Oprah Show.
A recent study by Cambridge University in England showed that four simple lifestyle factors can add up to 14 years to your life, they are:
- Don’t Smoke
- Be Physically Active
- Eat five servings of fruit and vegetables daily (like the anti aging diet)
- Drink 1 to 14 glasses of alcohol per week
|Read Dr. Mao’s 8 Food Swaps To Increase Your Longevity. Dr. Maoshing Ni suggests merely switching 8 simple foods to slim down and live a long and healthy life.
Menu Planning for the Anti Aging Diet
Anti Aging Breakfast Ideas
- One great example would be if you eat oatmeal in the morning to add some berries to it or when you make an omelet add some spinach.
- Fix some blueberry or buckwheat pancakes and instead of pouring that bottle of syrup on them heat up some fresh blueberries in cup with just a little honey or pure maple syrup for a change.
- Try ordering your latte with soy milk instead of low fat milk chances are you will not be able to tell the difference.
- Try blending mil, frozen blueberries and ice. Add some protein and flax and make it a power meal. Avoiding sugar is great, when you need a sweetener try using Stevia instead. Stevia Sweet and Healthy is a great site for more nutritious smoothie recipes.
The Good Housekeeping Anti aging Diet suggests things like 6 ounces of low-fat cottage cheese, 15 red grapes, 1 tangerine or Kashi Cereal.
This is a great time to take an antioxidant supplement each day.
Anti Aging Snack Ideas
- Apples always make great snacks because you can take them anywhere with you.
- Grab a handful of nuts, drink some hot tea and nibble on some dark chocolate covered acai berries.
- Try some of the low-fat yogurts that contain blueberries, acai or even a soy yogurt.
- Make a smoothie with yogurt or soy milk then add any fruits you want.
Good Housekeeping’s anti aging diets lists these other snack ideas: 1 mini bag of popcorn, Starbucks Grande Cappuccino, hard boiled egg, or 4 -5 thin clices of ham.
Anti Aging Lunch Ideas
- It is no fun to eat salad for lunch everyday. Mix it up some with a baby greens salad topped with seared salmon, walnuts, berries and a little wine vinaigrette.
- Try a spinach salad with hard boiled eggs, onions, tomatoes and bacon with warm bacon vinaigrette.
- Make a habit of slicing strawberries, kiwi, grapes, raisins or cranberries on your salad.
- Tires of salad? Mash up some red or blue potatoes!
- Make a turkey sandwich on sunflower bread instead of whole wheat and then dress it up with avocado, sprouts, onion, and tomatoes.
- Have some tomato soup, black bean soup or better yet lentil soup.
I found black bean soup, seasoned tuna, pita bread, and string cheese on the Good Housekeeping Anti aging diet.
Anti Aging Dinner Ideas
- Add diced baby carrots to your spaghetti sauce – it won’t change the taste.
- When it comes to dinner play a little more with the food options and try pecan crusted turkey breast with a side of sautéed spinach and quinoa.
- Grill some salmon and use it for fajitas instead of the usual chicken.
Finally, some other ideas I saw on the Good Housekeeping anti aging diet include, steamed carrots, asian rice, whole wheat rotini with pesto, green beans and walnut-crusted chicken.
Anti Aging Dessert Ideas
- Cheesecake topped with strawberries
- Blackberry cobbler, strawberry rhubarb pie, fruit trifle, or a dessert pizza with berries
- Blend blueberries and raspberries and swirl them in a cup of whipped cream. Putting it in a glass with a small piece of dark chocolate on the bottom makes it a showy dessert
- And don’t forget the piece of dark chocolate with peanuts.
“People tell you to eat right and exercise, but that only gives you more years in your 80s. Who needs that? What I really want are more years in my 20s.” – Jay Leno